Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Bottle Son

Somebody told me one day that “the children’s problems are children of parent’s problems”; I’ve been thinking about that sentence for many days, and it took me some time to accept the idea.
Alcohol abuse  
I’m Mickey Mantle’s son, Mickey Jr., I say “son” because my mother taught me to consider him like a father. But, sincerely, for me, he’s an unknown person. I don’t have remembrance of Mickey’s Mantle in my life; when I close my eyes and try to feel him hugging me, or saying something hard (rebuking) to correct me, like a common father, I can’t remember him, and it frustrated me for  long years. I just remember the smelling of his addiction, every night.

In my childhood, I spent many hours studying about my grandfather’s life, and what he might have done to my father to make him a problematic person. But I didn’t find anything. On the contrary, I thought if my father could have done the same, coaching me, like my grandfather did to him, I could make my dream to come true: being a baseball athlete.

But, when I read his text “My time in a bottle” and his letter to my grandfather, I understood part of his feelings, and I found hope and good things in that strange man called “my father”. I could have been a wonderful athlete, a better person, I know, I could be happier and satisfied in “my world” if Mickey Mantle’s had been in my life like a true father. 

But I don’t blame him, because he could be a better person if my grandfather had been better too. I don’t blame my grandpa, too. So, whose is the fault? Adam and Eve? 

I prefer to think that we always tried to be or do “OUR BEST”, but “try” is different to “achieve”. So, I accepted my father like he is. I know all his mistakes, I hate them at all, but it isn’t a reason to make me no to love him and learn with his experiences. So I’m gonna say it to him, tonight: “father, I love you”.

by Amanda Laíza dos Reis Mota
Barone English's student
level 5
Medicine student at UFSCar


Note: This text is result of Barone English’s methodology. Different writing techniques are developed every unit. Besides that, the students make presentations about the same theme, based on their researches.

No comments:

Post a Comment